Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Gold Cup Race Week!!

Welcome to Gold Cup Race Week!! It's the biggest, most famous week in Cheltenham because of the world-famous horse races going on! Every hotel and b&b is booked, and has been for months. It's a huge event, with thousands of Irishmen coming out. Ladbrokes, the betting store, is PACKED with people shellling out money like crazy. Every bar and pub in town whipped out "Guiness" signs and all the stores are hopping. It's like Black Friday at home...except with higher prices rather than deals lol. All the stores have fresh inventory and all the restaurants are totally soaking in the extra crowds. This restaurant/bar near Regency had a "Race Breakfast" this morning, in addition to a champagne breakfast and when I walked by it was packed. So many people talking horses with Racing Times in hand. There are even people parked on the side of the road, radio on, following the action. Not to mention so many expensive, even antique cars and limos around. When I was walking back from class today (which let out in a half hour because only 3 of us showed up!), there were throngs of men in smart, classy suits, newspaper in hand, heading to the Races. I passed dozens of Irishmen chatting in their tweed caps and women with their umbrellas and fancy hats. I must have looked so goofy with my huge grin but I really wanted to just say "top o' the mornin'" or something! It's just such a European event. I mean, there will even be members of the Royal Family at the races! There's just an air of excitement...maybe because people bet too much money and are afraid they'll lose lol.. I don't know. But I feel like I'm in an episode of Wildfire (was I the only one who watched that show? lol). But anyway, this week it's just exciting to be in the same area of all this action, even if I'm not witnessing jockeys and stallions firsthand :)

No comments:

Post a Comment